Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This traditional Indian dish of spinach cooked with Indian spices, yogurt, and cheese is filling enough for a main course. Look for paneer, a fresh Indian cheese, in Indian grocery stores, or substitute fresh mozzarella. A wok makes light work of steaming down a big bunch of spinach. Serve with rice and warm naan (Indian flat bread).
1. Heat ghee over medium heat in wok. Add cumin and coriander, and stir until spices sizzle. Add onion, and sauté 2 minutes, or until translucent. Add chile, ginger, and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes more.
2. Add spinach, season with salt, cover wok with lid, and steam spinach 2 to 3 minutes. Remove lid, and continue stirring spinach until wilted. Pour off liquid accumulated in bottom of wok.
3. Stir in yogurt, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Remove from heat, and fold in cheese.
- Calories 397
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 87 mg
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 19 g
- Sodium Content 516 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g