In this stew, the vegetables are cut large for satisfying texture (and less chopping!). Serve the tagine over brown rice, couscous, quinoa or another steamed grain.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 small turnips (about 1/2 lb.), peeled and quartered
- 2 medium-sized carrots (about 1/2 lb.), peeled, halved and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 small zucchini, cut into large chunks
1. Heat oil in 4-qt. Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onions and bell pepper, and cook 10 minutes, stirring often, or until onions are softened. Stir in tomatoes, celery, 1 cup water and saffron. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes.
2. Stir in chickpeas, turnips, carrots, salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes.
3. Add zucchini, and simmer 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if necessary.
4. Serve with spoonfuls of Spiced Cilantro Dressing.
- Calories: 196
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 5.5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 690 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g