An extravagant pizza, this stars the compatible flavors of fig and gorgonzola, accented with sage. This recipe makes enough for two 12-inch pizzas.
- 1/2 cup warm water plus 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tsp. dried yeast
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1 Tbs. milk
- 2 Tbs. olive oil plus extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. gorgonzola cheese, preferably Mountain gorgonzola
- 10 ripe fresh figs, or 10 black dried figs, rehydrated, torn into pieces
- 1 cup fig preserves, optional
- 2 sprigs fresh sage, julienned
- 1 oz. small, fresh leaves from spicy greens such as arugula or mizuna tossed with 2 Tbs. lemon juice,
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine warm water, yeast and rye flour to make sponge. Set aside in very warm place for 20 minutes.
Stir in milk, olive oil, salt, flour and lukewarm water. Place dough on lightly floured work surface, and knead by hand for 10 to 15 minutes.
Place dough in large mixing bowl, and set aside to double in very warm place. Punch down, and allow to rise for 40 minutes more. Place dough on lightly floured work surface, and divide into 2 balls. Place in mixing bowl, cover with oiled plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
When ready to make pizzas, preheat oven to 500F.
Remove one dough ball from refrigerator, and flatten on lightly floured work surface or cookie sheet. Using floured hands, work dough out by pulling in circle. Using knuckles, slowly stretch dough into large disc 12 inches round. Repeat with second ball of dough.
Place discs on preheated pizza stone or pizza pan. Drizzle each with extra virgin olive oil.
Place small pieces of gorgonzola on each dough circle. Add fresh figs and fig preserves, if using. Sprinkle with sage, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crust is browned. Top with greens, and serve.
The wine flavors of Red Zinfandel are sometimes compared to dried fruit, dark berries and chocolate. In other words: intense! And so is this pizza.
The combination of figs, gorgonzola and sage provides a nice balance of fruit, fat and bitterness, which will pair well with a wine such as a Red Zinfandel. Try Dashe Cellars Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel.
- Calories: 830
- Carbohydrate Content: 69 g
- Cholesterol Content: 120 mg
- Fat Content: 48 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 22 g
- Sodium Content: 1430 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g