The vegetables for this light supper salad are added to the pot gradually so that they finish cooking at the same time.
1. To make Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
2. To make Salad: Bring broth and barley to a boil over medium heat in small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 30 to 35 minutes, or until broth is absorbed and barley is tender. Transfer to bowl, and keep warm.
3. Bring 2 inches salted water to a boil in wide (9-inch diameter) pot over medium heat. Add fennel, and bring to a gentle simmer. (Small bubbles should break surface of water around edges, not bubble up from bottom of pot.) Reduce heat to low, and poach 3 minutes. Add green beans and carrots, and poach 1 minute. Add asparagus and snap peas, and poach 3 minutes more. Transfer vegetables to colander with slotted spoon. Refresh under cool running water 30 seconds.
4. Arrange lettuce leaves on each of 4 salad plates. Scoop heaping 1/2 cup barley in center, and arrange warm vegetables around it. Drizzle each serving with 1 Tbs. Dressing.
- Calories 265
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 374 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g