- 1 large onion, quartered, divided
- 2 round or plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, plus 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1. Cut one-quarter of onion into 3 or 4 chunks. Chop remaining three-quarters of onion, and set aside.
2. Place medium skillet over medium-high heat. Char onion chunks, tomatoes, and garlic cloves in dry skillet 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove onion and garlic to plate while tomatoes continue to blacken. Break up tomatoes with wooden spoon or spatula; return onion and garlic to skillet. Add chipotle chile, adobo sauce, and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Transfer to blender, and blend until smooth.
3. Wipe out skillet, and coat with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add chopped onion, cover, and cook 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add beans and salsa roja, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until thickened.
- Calories: 117
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 268 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g