Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Tomatillos are traditionally used to make the green salsa served with enchiladas. Here they add a light, tangy flavor that complements the sweetness of yellow squash and the earthy black beans. Look for them with the tomatoes in the produce section of your supermarket. Canned tomatillos are not a good substitute here, so if you cant find fresh, use an equal amount of green tomatoes cut into eighths.
1. Combine cilantro, lime juice and hot pepper sauce in small bowl.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds.
3. Increase heat to medium-high. Add squash and tomatillos, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 to 6 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black beans, salt and pepper, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through.
4. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cilantro mixture. Serve immediately.
- Calories 140
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 160 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g