Salt and Pepper Sweet Potato Fries
A soak in a vinegar bath plus a hefty dose of both black and white pepper give sweet potato fries an intense flavor. Baking them in a hot oven ensures they are crispy—but without all the fat from frying. Serve with your favorite ketchup, aioli, or dipping condiment.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 6 sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Combine vinegar and 12 cups water in large bowl, and add sweet potatoes. Soak in refrigerator 1 hour, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil, and coat with cooking spray.
3. Drain sweet potatoes, dry well, spread on baking sheets, and drizzle with oil.
4. Stir together salt, black pepper, and white pepper in bowl. Sprinkle salt mixture over potatoes, and toss to coat.
5. Bake 25 minutes, then flip potatoes over with spatula and bake 20 minutes more, or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes, then toss with parsley.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup
- Calories 74
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 387 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g