Salt-Roasted Golden Beets with Teriyaki Sauce and Nori Dust
Rock hard beets are transformed into something silky and luscious by slow-roasting them in a bed of salt—a simple technique that’s worth the wait!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Erin Wysocarski, an ethical vegan, is the creator of the blog Olives for Dinner. She handles recipe development and food styling while her husband, Jeff, does the site’s food photography. In this recipe, Erin loved transforming rockhard beets into something silky and luscious by slow-roasting them in a bed of salt—a simple technique that’s worth the wait!
- 2 cups coarse salt, plus more if needed
- 1 lb. golden beets (3 small beets), stems and bases trimmed
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ sheet nori or ochazuke wakame seasoning
- 1 cup steamed rice
- 4 tsp. prepared teriyaki sauce, optional
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced on sharp bias (½ cup)
- 1 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Pour salt into 9-inch-square baking dish. Rinse trimmed beets, and place in salt while wet. (Make sure that beet has a good layer of salt on the bottom and does not touch bottom of baking dish.) Roast beets 2 hours. Cool beets slightly
and remove from salt. Peel beets and slice thinly with mandoline or sharp knife while still warm.
- Whisk together sesame oil and vinegar in medium bowl. Add beets, and toss to coat. Cover, and marinate in refrigerator 4 hours, or overnight.
- Grind nori sheet to fine powder in spice or coffee grinder.
- Spoon rice into two bowls. Spoon 2 tsp. teriyaki sauce, if using, onto serving plates. Sprinkle with green onions. Lay sliced beets in two 5- to 6-inch rows, overlapping onion slices. Roll each row into a flower or swirl pattern. Set in center of serving plate and sprinkle with nori dust and sesame seeds. Serve with rice and broccoli.
- Serving Size 1 Beet Roll
- Calories 439
- Carbohydrate Content 69 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 298 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g