A basic hot wing sauce gets its punch from sambal oelek. Serve the wings hot with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting work surface
- 1 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp. onion powder, divided
- 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sambal oelek
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1/3 cup sambal oelek
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tsp. cider vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
1. To make Wings: Combine 3/4 cup broth and soy sauce in small bowl; set aside.
2. Stir together vital wheat gluten, 2 Tbs. flour, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, poultry seasoning, and pepper in bowl. Stir in broth mixture until soft dough comes together. Transfer to flour-dusted work surface, dust top with flour, and flatten to 9- x 4-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise, then cut each piece crosswise into 12 short strips.
3. Bring remaining 4 cups broth, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, and sambal oelek to a boil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add seitan pieces, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes. Drain seitan pieces, and cool. (Discard or reserve broth for another use.)
4. To make Sauce: bring all ingredients to a simmer in small saucepan. Remove from heat, and set aside.
5. Combine 1 tsp. Sauce with vegetable oil in medium bowl. Add seitan pieces, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup flour, and toss until all pieces are coated with flour.
6. Preheat oven to broil. Lay seitan pieces in single layer on baking sheet. Broil 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned and crisp-looking, turning once.
7. Transfer hot seitan pieces to bowl, and toss with Sauce.
- Calories: 61
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 118 mg
- Sugar Content: 0.5 g