Menu plan: Serve this accompanied by some steamed spinach with a squeeze of lemon and olive oil.
- 2 1/2 lbs. small Yukon Gold potatoes, rinsed (and peeled if desired)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 8-oz. pkg. soy "sausage" links, thawed if frozen, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup low-fat milk or soy milk, heated
- 1 tsp. butter or margarine
Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and salt and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sugar and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onion slices are golden. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in broth, wine and soy sauce. Simmer until thickened, stirring continuously. Add “sausage” to gravy and simmer until heated through.
Drain and rinse potatoes; mash with potato masher. Add warm milk and butter and whip potatoes with hand mixer until fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve mashed potatoes topped with gravy and “sausages.”
- Calories: 387
- Carbohydrate Content: 63 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 949 mg