Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Some people call this a strata. Some people call it a casserole. Some people call it Maurice. But what we call this gangster of cauliflower and kale love is a savory bread pudding – and you should probably add this super-flexible recipe to your all-day rotation. This works beautifully for basically any meal of the day; equally great to feed a brunch crowd or settle in with at dinner.
If cooked just as we have it here, you’re getting a fluffy, savory bake with bread, egg, cheese, cauliflower, and leafy purple kale. But you can also start switching around the parts in this savory bread pudding however you wish. Prefer egg replacer or non-dairy cream, milk, and cheese? Go for it! Want to swap in other balanced or sautéed vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, and spinach? Don’t you worry, baby.
Cauliflower and Leafy Purple Kale Savory Bread Pudding
From Better Nutrition
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or oil 12-inch rectangular casserole dish.Bring pot of water to a boil.
- Chop kale into large pieces and place in salted water. Cook 2–3 minutes, until just tender. Drain, squeezing out excess water.
- Break cauliflower into florets. Bring pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower to pot and cook 3–4 minutes until barely tender.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Add celery and onions, and sauté until soft. Add garlic, and cook about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Place chopped kale, cauliflower, celery, onion, and garlic in large bowl. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Add bread and cheeses to vegetables in bowl. Toss to mix and place in greased casserole dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour over bread and vegetables. Let sit 10 minutes to allow bread to absorb liquid. Bake 35 minutes until top is lightly browned. Pour cream over top, and bake 5 minutes more.