Chunky Avocado Salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium-sized scallions, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced jicama
- 1 14 1/2-oz. can (1 3/4 cups) Mexican stewed tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 2 bell peppers, 1 red and 1 yellow,cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 6-oz. pkg. soy
- 1 6-oz. pkg. sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 medium-sized zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise and cut crosswise
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans
- 6 8-inch whole wheat, fat-free tortillas, nonhydrogenated
To make Chunky Avocado Salsa: Peel and dice avocado, and set aside.
Combine garlic, scallions, celery, red bell pepper, jicama, avocado and lime juice in nonreactive bowl. Add tomatoes and cilantro. Season with hot pepper sauce to taste. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To make Savory Burritos: Heat oil and red pepper flakes over medium-high heat in electric frying pan, 5-quart saucepan or wok, about 1 minute. Add garlic, scallions and bell peppers, and sauté 3 minutes. Add soy "chicken" strips and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add zucchini and beans, reduce heat to low and cook mixture 8 minutes. Heat tortillas 5 minutes in tortilla warmer or wrapped in foil in oven set at 325F.
Spoon filling onto warmed tortilla, and add jalapeños, if using. Fold tortilla over filling to make parcel. Secure with toothpick. Use up remaining tortillas and filling, and serve with Chunky Avocado Salsa.
- Calories: 322
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 15 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 798 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g