This is a traditional recipe from the Garfagnana region of Tuscany. The cake works well as a first or a main course with vegetables or a salad. For a decorative flourish, garnish with extra Parmesan.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbs. softened unsalted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1 cup low-fat or whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 Tbs. chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh marjoram
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 8-inch baking dish or springform pan with 2 tablespoons softened butter.
To make Pie Crust:
2. Combine flour and salt in bowl. Cut in butter and work into flour. Add egg and mix dough until it just holds together. Press dough into springform pan, bottom crust first, then sides.
To make Filling:
3. Combine farro, cheeses, eggs, nutmeg, parsley, marjoram, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until set. Cool to lukewarm, cut into wedges and serve.
Enhance this dish by serving it with a bottle of chardonnay.
- Calories: 480
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 200 mg
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg