This baked pasta dish is easy and comforting, as well as healthful and low-fat.
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into large pieces
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. dry, wide or medium egg noodles (6 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt
- 5 scallions (white and light green parts), chopped
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 325F. Coat 8-inch square or other 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with lemon peel and set aside.
In food processor, process bread until coarse crumbs form. Add oil and pulse until blended. Set aside.
Add noodles to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until barely tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water until completely cool, then drain again. Set aside.
In large bowl, whisk eggs. Add cottage cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste; whisk until blended. Add scallions, parsley, dill and reserved noodles; mix with rubber spatula. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumb mixture. (Kugel can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before baking.)
Bake kugel, uncovered, until lightly browned and set, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Calories: 183
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 96 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 355 mg