“I came up with this recipe to save a mistake,” explains Paul Bulman. “I had asked my wife to begin preparing a wheat berry pilaf and accidentally directed her to use a container with steel-cut oats instead of the wheat berries. Not wanting to throw away the oatmeal, I came up with this recipe the following morning. Today, it’s one of my wife’s favorite meals.”
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup Now Real Food Steel Cut Oats*
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese (8 oz.)
- Sriracha chile sauce, for drizzling
- 1/2 cup mesclun salad mix, or 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro leaves
1. Bring broth to a simmer in large saucepan. Add oats, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Crack eggs into pan, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 2 minutes, carefully flip eggs, and cook 2 minutes more (longer for harder yolks).
3. Scoop 1/2 cup oatmeal in center of each of 4 plates to create small bed. Top each oatmeal bed with 1/4 cup ricotta. Place 1 egg atop oatmeal alongside ricotta. Drizzle with sriracha sauce, and sprinkle with mesclun salad mix.
- Calories: 317
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 206 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 413 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g