Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Although brown rice rarely makes an appearance in Japanese cuisine, it offers a nutty, fiber-rich alternative.
1.To make Sushi Rice: Rinse rice under cold water. Bring rice, 1⅔ cups water, and sake to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes off heat.
2. Whisk together vinegar, sugar, and salt in bowl. Transfer rice to large bowl, and drizzle half of vinegar over rice, cutting through with wooden spoon. Continue adding until vinegar is absorbed. Cover with damp cloth, and cool.
3. To make Topping: Whisk together soy sauce, 1 Tbs. water, 1 Tbs. sesame oil, and wasabi in bowl.
4. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. sesame oil in skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, and sauté 5 minutes, or until crisp. To serve: Pack ¾ cup Sushi Rice into 4 bowls. Top with peas, corn, ginger, onions, and tofu. Drizzle with soy sauce mixture.
- Calories 617
- Carbohydrate Content 80 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 852 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g