Almond milk and ground flaxseeds replace dairy and eggs in this batter.
- 2 Tbs. ground flaxseeds or flaxseed meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 cup almond milk or oat milk, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbs. raw sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 1 Tbs. whole flaxseeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 3 stalks fresh parsley
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped (1 cup), divided
- 2 lb. button mushrooms, sliced (8 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.), divided
- 1 28-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Whisk ground flaxseeds with 1/4 cup warm water in small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
2. Whisk together flour and salt in bowl. Whisk in ground flaxseed mixture, then oil. Whisk in 1/2 cup almond milk 1/4 cup at a time, until batter is smooth. Mix in sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, whole flaxseeds, and poppy seeds. Cover, and chill 30 minutes, or overnight.
3. Tie together parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with kitchen twine to make bouquet garni. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup shallots, mushrooms, and 2 tsp. garlic. Cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to plate.
4. Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to Dutch oven. Sauté remaining 1/2 cup shallots in oil 3 to 4 minutes, or until just beginning to brown. Add tomatoes, remaining 2 tsp. garlic, and bouquet garni; cover; and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 10 minutes. Uncover, and simmer 5 minutes more, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in mushrooms, and cook 3 minutes, or until heated through. Keep warm.
5. Preheat oven to 200°F. Whisk remaining 1/4 cup almond milk and 2 Tbs. water into chilled crêpe batter to thin. Grease 9-inch nonstick skillet with canola oil. Heat skillet over medium-high heat.
6. Pour 1/3 cup batter into hot skillet, lifting pan to swirl batter so it coats bottom of pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until edges begin to brown and center is dry. Flip, and cook 30 seconds more. Transfer to plate, and place in warm oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
7. To serve: Place 1 crêpe on plate, and fill with 1/2 cup filling. Garnish with parsley, and fold sides over filling. Repeat with remaining crêpes and filling.
- Calories: 286
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 436 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g