Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Spicy peanut sauce and lemon wedges add flavor to this vegan version of an Indonesian favorite. The recipe here calls for cooking the skewered seitan in the oven after marinating, but feel free to pan-fry or barbecue.
To make Seitan Satay:
1. Soak 8 wood skewers in water 30 minutes. Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger in resealable plastic bag. Add seitan; seal, and shake to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Drain seitan chunks, and thread onto skewers. Place skewers on prepared baking sheet, and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until seitan is browned and firm.
Meanwhile, make Peanut Sauce:
3. Blend all ingredients and 1/2 cup water in blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer to serving bowl.
4. To serve: Place cucumber quarters on serving plates. Set skewers on top. Garnish with lemon wedges, and pass Peanut Sauce for dipping.
- Calories 223
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13.5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 276 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g