Semisweet Chocolate and Peanut Bars
This luscious combo of buttery pastry, dark chocolate, and peanuts may just become your favorite holiday cookie.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, which makes the topping rich and smooth without all the extra fat calories of butter or heavy cream.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 11/4 cups condensed milk
- 1 cup salted, roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 11- x 7-inch baking pan with cooking spray, and line with parchment paper or foil. Coat again with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and baking powder in bowl. Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Press crust into bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
- Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and condensed milk in bowl set over simmering water. Whisk until thick and smooth. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over crust with spatula. Press peanuts firmly into top of chocolate mixture. Cool to room temperature, then chill until firm. Cut into 35 bars.
- Calories 141
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 79 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g