As Oscar Wilde declared, ||Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.|| Here’s a somewhat Indian variation on a somewhat Mexican theme, with the addition of dried tomatoes and mozzarella for a little Italian influence. Toast chopped cashews in a skillet in a little vegetable oil or ghee…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
As Oscar Wilde declared, ||Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.|| Here’s a somewhat Indian variation on a somewhat Mexican theme, with the addition of dried tomatoes and mozzarella for a little Italian influence. Toast chopped cashews in a skillet in a little vegetable oil or ghee over low heat, and stir often until nicely golden.
- 1/4 cup slivered sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted cashews
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 large (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 Tbs. Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil or ghee, plus more for frying 2 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 4 cups finely chopped cauliflower
- 1 medium red bell pepper, slivered
In large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium-low heat. Add sesame seeds and cook until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add asafetida if desired, ginger, cumin and mustard seeds and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in cauliflower and bell pepper, sprinkle with liquid aminos, cover and cook until cauliflower is tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, toasted cashews, pepper and salt. Remove from heat.
Place 1 tortilla flat on work surface. Spoon one-quarter of the cauliflower mixture onto half of tortilla, leaving 1-inch border. Sprinkle cauliflower with cheese, then cilantro. Fold in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
In nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add 1 quesadilla and cook until golden brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side, turning carefully (use two spatulas to grip sides together). Transfer to plate. Repeat with more oil and remaining quesadillas. Serve hot with salsa if desired.
- Calories 421
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 629 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g