This poached egg dish is an Israeli favorite in restaurants and home kitchens. You can prepare the sauce in advance, and then reheat just before cooking the eggs.
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 jalapeño chile, chopped (3 Tbs.)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 8 Roma tomatoes, diced (4 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Tbs. chopped parsley, optional
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 7 to 9 minutes. Add jalapeño and garlic, and sauté 1 minute more. Add tomatoes and cumin, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 2 minutes. Uncover, and cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 1 minute more.
2. Reduce heat to low. Make 4 cavities in mixture with spoon. Break 1 egg into small dish, and slip into cavity. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until egg whites are set. Sprinkle with parsley, if using.
- Calories: 151
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 186 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 114 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g