Sarah Malikowski first got the idea for this salad from a restaurant menu that featured raw Brussels sprouts. “I have been serving this salad as a side for dinner as well as a main dish for lunch at work. It would be great for a picnic, but looks pretty enough to serve at a fancy dinner,” she says.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbs. Florida Crystals Organic Powdered Sugar
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed
- 1 qt. strawberries, hulled and sliced (3 cups)
- 6 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 2 Tbs. aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped (2–3 Tbs.)
- 11/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (1/2 tsp.)
- 6 Tbs. Eden Selected Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 | Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2 | Toss walnuts with powdered sugar in small bowl. Spread on prepared baking sheet, and bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until nuts are caramelized. Set aside to cool.
3 | Thinly slice whole Brussels sprouts with mandoline or knife, or slice in half lengthwise, then set cut side down on cutting board, and thinly slice crosswise into ribbons. Transfer to salad bowl, and add strawberries and goat cheese. Set aside.
4 | Whisk together vinegar, shallot, mustard, and garlic in small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil until combined; season with
salt and pepper, if desired.
5 | Toss Brussels sprouts with 1/2 cup dressing, stir in walnuts, and serve.
- Calories: 296
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 136 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g