Fresh fennel has a delicate crunch and a mild lemon-anise flavor that’s perfect in cold summer soups. Shaving fennel into paper-thin strips is a snap with a mandoline, but you can also do it with a knife. Simply quarter the fennel bulb, then cut each quarter into thin slices. Enjoy this soup on its own, or with sprouted or cooked wild rice stirred in for a heartier dish.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced (1/2 tsp.)
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved (1/2 lb.)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped, for garnish (2 Tbs.)
1. Blend oil, lemon juice, garlic, and 3 cups water in blender until smooth and no large droplets of olive oil remain. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Divide soup among 4 serving bowls. Top each serving with 1/4 cup shaved fennel and 1 & 1/2 tsp. green onion.
- Calories: 261
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Fat Content: 27 g
- Fiber Content: 27 g
- Protein Content: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 30 mg
- Sugar Content: 0.5 g