Warm, inviting Middle Eastern spices pair well with the earthy flavors of cold-weather root vegetables. Here the veggies are served with greens, but they could easily go on a bed of quinoa or brown basmati rice or get tucked into warmed pita bread for a heartier meal. Feel free to substitute other root vegetables for the carrots and parsnips.
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 large russet potato, halved and sliced 1-inch thick (1 cup)
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 11/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 tsp. lemon juice
- 6 cups salad greens
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving, optional
- Olive oil, for drizzling, optional
1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
2 To make Vegetables: Toast cumin, paprika, allspice, garlic powder, turmeric, and cardamom 5 minutes, or until fragrant, in small skillet over medium heat, swirling often to prevent scorching. Transfer to large bowl, and stir in oil. Add chickpeas, carrots, bell pepper, potato, and parsnips, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3 Spread vegetables on baking sheet, and roast 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender and browned on edges. Drizzle vegetables with lemon juice.
4 Meanwhile, to make Yogurt Sauce: Stir together yogurt and lemon juice in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
5 To make Salad: Divide salad greens among four plates. Top with 1 cup Vegetables, and 2 Tbs. Yogurt Sauce. Drizzle with oil
(if using), and serve with lemon wedges (if using).
- Calories: 348
- Carbohydrate Content: 41 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 251 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g