Sicilian-Style Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic Syrup
When Nancy Liguori doctors up recipes to make them healthful and delicious, she’s got the credentials to back up her creations. After getting her MD in 2004, Nancy worked in the health care communications sector before enrolling in the Natural Gourmet Institute’s part-time chef’s training program. This recipe was an…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
When Nancy Liguori doctors up recipes to make them healthful and delicious, she’s got the credentials to back up her creations. After getting her MD in 2004, Nancy worked in the health care communications sector before enrolling in the Natural Gourmet Institute’s part-time chef’s training program. This recipe was an improvisation during her final culinary school class, which focused on Sicilian cooking. “We had extra green beans and red bell peppers, so I decided to roast them and treat them in the classically Sicilian agrodolce style by tossing the vegetables with orange and lemon juices and then drizzling them with reduced balsamic vinegar,” she explains.
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss green beans and bell pepper strips with oil, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Spread in single layer on baking sheet, and roast 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Bring vinegar to a boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes, or until vinegar is thick and syrupy, stirring occasionally.
3. Toss green bean mixture with orange juice, lemon juice, and orange zest in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to serving dish, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar syrup.
- Calories 65
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 104 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g