These burgers can be made quickly — and they're full of hearty flavor.
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 3 cups cooked or canned soybeans, rinsed and drained if canned
- 1/4 cup sunflower or other light oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked millet
- 2 cups quick (not instant) rolled oats
In food processor, combine soybeans, tamari, oil, cayenne and garlic. Process until smooth, then transfer to large mixing bowl.
Stir in remaining ingredients (except additional oil) in order listed, mixing well with each addition.
In large skillet, heat thin layer of oil or cooking spray over medium-high heat. Scoop out about a peach-size amount of bean mixture and shape into a patty (wet hands as necessary so they don’t stick) and place each patty into hot oil. Brown on one side, then turn and brown other side 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Calories: 355
- Carbohydrate Content: 41 g
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 415 mg