Singapore-Style Rice Noodles
Like Singapore itself, this noodle dish brings together flavors from many traditions.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 8-oz. pkg. rice vermicelli
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. Chinese cooking wine or sherry
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. canola or peanut oil
- 1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (5 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 4 green onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
- Soak rice noodles in hot water 15 minutes, or until softened. Drain, and set aside.
- Whisk together broth, soy sauce, wine, and brown sugar in bowl. Set aside.
- Heat wok over high heat, until water droplets evaporate within 1 second. Add oil, and swirl to coat wok. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add cabbage, garlic, and curry powder, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Add broth mixture, and toss with vegetables; add noodles, and toss to combine. Stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, or until noodles absorb some of sauce and soften. Remove from heat, and stir in green onions.
Related: Rice Noodles Buyer’s Guide
- Calories 251
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 300 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g