Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Recipe developer and food stylist Lauren Huber satisfies both her comfort-food cravings and her gourmet instincts by creating a quick, hearty casserole made with gnocchi—pasta-like potato dumplings that can be found in the refrigerated case or the frozen-food section of many supermarkets.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine ricotta, 3/4 cup shredded cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and red pepper flakes in large bowl. Sprinkle spinach over cheese mixture.
2. Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Spoon cooked gnocchi over spinach and cheese with slotted spoon. Cover bowl, and let stand 2 minutes, or until spinach has wilted. Stir to combine spinach, ricotta mixture, and hot gnocchi.
3. Meanwhile, spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce in bottom of 11- x 7-inch glass baking dish. Spoon half of gnocchi-cheese mixture over tomato sauce.Top with 3/4 cup tomato sauce and 3/4 cup shredded cheese. Spread remaining gnocchi over tomato sauce. Top with remaining 3/4 cup tomato sauce, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Calories 420
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 46 mg
- Fat Content 12.5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6.5 g
- Sodium Content 658 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g