Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Slow cookers offer an energy-saving way to cook gratins, which usually need an hour of oven time. Double the recipe if your cooker’s capacity exceeds 4 quarts.
1. Spray inside of 3- to 4-qt. slow cooker with cooking spray. Add butter, cover, and heat on high 10 minutes, or until butter is melted.
2. Whisk flour and 1/4 tsp. salt into butter 1 minute, or until smooth. Gradually add 1/4 cup milk, whisking constantly 2 minutes, or until completely blended. Whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and minced chipotle. Stir in 3/4 cup Gouda. Cover, and cook 15 minutes, until cheese is almost melted and slow cooker is hot.
3. Meanwhile, combine squash, leek, sage, garlic, and remaining 1 tsp. salt in large bowl.
4. Uncover slow cooker, and whisk sauce 2 minutes, or until smooth. Stir squash mixture into sauce. Place single layer of paper towel across top of slow cooker, extending over edges, and securing with lid. Adjust slow cooker setting to low, and cook 3 to 4 hours, or until squash is tender. Turn off slow cooker, and remove lid and paper towel. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Gouda, and then breadcrumbs, over gratin; spray with cooking spray. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories 198
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 33 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 682 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g