Never know what to do with a whole bunch of fresh herbs from the farmers’ market? Use them to liven up sautéed eggplant in this hearty sandwich.
- 5 Japanese eggplants, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch dice (5 cups)
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely diced (2 Tbs.)
- 11/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 3 pita breads, halved
- 4 oz. Asiago or Manchego cheese, shaved with vegetable peeler
1 | Spread eggplant on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, and let stand 5 minutes. Rinse, drain, and pat dry. Wipe off baking sheet, and set aside.
2 | Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant, and sauté 5 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to baking sheet, and cool 10 minutes.
3 | Stir eggplant together with tomatoes, parsley, basil, vinegar, shallot, paprika, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Fill each pita half with 1 1/3 cups eggplant mixture. Top with shaved cheese.
- Calories: 282
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 17 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 763 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g