Smoked Portobello Club Sandwich
These trim, elegant sandwiches make a perfect lunch or hors d’oeuvre. They aren’t hard to prepare, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind as you assemble them: shred the lettuce and slice the tomatoes and mushrooms very thin; doing so will help the sandwiches hold together…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These trim, elegant sandwiches make a perfect lunch or hors d’oeuvre. They aren’t hard to prepare, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind as you assemble them: shred the lettuce and slice the tomatoes and mushrooms very thin; doing so will help the sandwiches hold together and make them easy to nibble.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. apple or hickory wood chips
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 large (6-inch) portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 6 thin slices white or whole-wheat bread, such as Pepperidge Farm Very Thin
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded romaine heart leaves (pale, tender white leaves)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1. Prepare stove-top smoker with wood chips.
2. Whisk together oil and lemon juice in small bowl; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Brush both sides of mushroom caps with half of oil mixture, and set on smoker rack. Smoke 25 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and light brown. Uncover smoker, and cool mushrooms.
3. Toast bread slices. Thinly slice mushroom caps on bias (cut on steep diagonal to get more surface area). Arrange mushroom slices in even layer over 2 toast slices. Add a layer of sliced tomato and another slice of toast. Toss together lettuce, goat cheese, and remaining oil mixture in small bowl. Divide lettuce mixture among sandwiches, and top with remaining toast slices. Press down lightly but firmly or weight with dinner plate for a few minutes to help keep fillings in place after slicing. Cut sandwiches into quarters.
- Calories 164
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 223 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g