Combine squash, adobo sauce, black beans, and a touch of maple and lime, and pow—you’ve got a satisfying vegetarian supper.
1. Combine lime juice and 1 tsp. maple syrup in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat butter and 1 Tbs. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add squash, and season with salt, if desired. Cover pan, and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover pan, add onion, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until squash is tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat, and gently stir in lime-maple mixture.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds, or until softened and fragrant. Add beans, adobo sauce, remaining 2 tsp. maple syrup, and 1/4 cup water. Bring mixture to a simmer, and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until liquid is mostly absorbed.
4. Gently stir together bean mixture and squash. Serve garnished with queso fresco, cilantro, and pepitas (if using).
- Calories 277
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 336 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g