Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This simple, hearty stew explores the fusion of African, Afro-Caribbean, Southern, and Asian cooking styles that Bryant Terry, author of The Inspired Vegan, has been fashioning over the past several years.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss squash wedges with 1 Tbs. oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Place wedges flesh side up on parchment-lined baking sheet, and roast 30 to 40 minutes, or until fork tender and starting to crisp on edges. Scoop squash from skin, set flesh aside, and discard skin.
2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chipotle chile and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant. Add collard greens a few handfuls at a time, and cook 7 minutes, or until all leaves are wilted. Add broth and 3 cups water, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
3. Add squash flesh to greens, and return to a boil over medium heat. Simmer 45 minutes, whisking every 15 minutes to mash squash. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 137
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 93 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g