Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Split pea soup recipes are often flavored with ham hocks, but this veg version gets its smoky taste from smoked paprika and chipotle chiles. Sweet potatoes and split peas are good sources of potassium, which lowers blood pressure.
1. Soak split peas in large bowl of cold water overnight.
2. Heat oil in 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add paprika and chipotle, and stir. Add sweet potato, onions, and celery, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
3. Drain split peas, and add to pot with 6 cups water. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour. Add tomatoes, and cook 30 minutes more, or until split peas are tender.
- Calories 256
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 162 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g