Seth Heller says this dish is the perfect way to use leftover rice. He drew upon his Hawaiian and Californian background to design a recipe that satisfies both him and his veg wife.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, minced (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. poultry seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, drained and minced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or wild rice medley
- 1/2 cup yellow raisins
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 5 oz. smoked Gouda cheese, grated
- 3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add celery, onion, poultry seasoning, and garlic, and sauté 7 minutes, or until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in chipotle pepper, and sauté 2 minutes. Add rice, raisins, and broth to pan, and cook 5 minutes more, or until consistency of stuffing, stirring constantly. Set aside.
Divide cheese among pepper halves, then top with rice mixture. Place peppers in 9- x 12-inch casserole dish. Add water until it comes ½ inch up sides of peppers. Bake 30 minutes, or until peppers are soft and filling is hot.
- Calories: 277
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Cholesterol Content: 27 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 430 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g