Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
A bowl of grits and a mess of greens might not sound like dinner party fare, but served on a platter and smothered with caramelized onions, this tasty combination looks downright fancy.
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until onions are softened and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, cook grits according to package directions. Stir in corn and milk, and return to a simmer, stirring constantly to incorporate milk. Keep warm.
3. Steam kale in basket steamer 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted but still bright green and crisp-tender. Transfer to bowl, and stir in vinegar and remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. To serve: Stir cheese into grits, and transfer to serving platter. Top with kale, then onions. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and grated cheese (if using).
- Calories 210
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 84 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g