Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
This recipe is Chef Bryant Terry’s veg interpretation of a Southern classic: smothered pork chops.
1. Coat seitan pieces with arrowroot.
2. Heat ½ cup oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry half of seitan in oil 3 minutes per side.
3. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Discard oil, wipe out skillet, and repeat with ½ cup oil and remaining seitan. Discard oil.
4. Add remaining 2 Tbs. oil and onion to hot skillet. Increase heat to high, and sauté 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and sauté 10 minutes more. Add garlic, and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in Mixed Mushroom Gravy, “Shroom Stock, and seitan. Cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Add cabbage, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in jalapeños, green onions, and parsley.
- Calories 287
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 302 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g