To ensure that the "buttery" sauce in this dish doesn't get watered down, dry the vegetables well after steaming. A high-grade, unrefined corn oil is a worthy investment for this recipe as it gives the "butter" a rich flavor. This recipe is a fantastic side dish or works well tossed with pasta too!
- 2 tsp. corn oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. carrot puree or baby food
- 8 oz. baby carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Whisk together broth and cornstarch in bowl. Add to onion, and bring to a simmer. Whisk in carrot purée, and season with salt and pepper. Heat sauce until just warm.
2. Steam carrots 1 minute in steamer basket. Add sugar snap peas, and steam 3 minutes more, or until both carrots and peas are crisp-tender. Transfer to clean kitchen towel, and blot extra moisture. Toss vegetables with sauce.
- Calories: 84
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 71 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g