Chef Julie Bavant of Hobbes plays with contrasting temperatures and textures to turn a simple chickpea pancake from the South of France into a light, healthful meal.
- 6 tomatoes, cut into chunks (5 cups)
- 2 small red onions, cut into thin rings (2 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 3 cups chickpea flour
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling
- Fleur de sel, for sprinkling
1 | To make Salad: Toss together tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, cilantro, and basil in large bowl. Set aside.
2 | To make Socca: Pour 2 cups cold water into medium bowl. Gradually whisk in chickpea flour, and whisk 2 to 3 minutes, or until batter is smooth. Whisk in 2 Tbs. oil, salt, and turmeric.
3 | Coat large non-stick skillet with 1 tsp. oil, and heat over medium heat. Pour in 1/2 cup of batter to cover entire skillet bottom by 1/16 inch. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until batter begins to brown. Flip, and cook 5 to 7 minutes more, or until browned and firm. Transfer to baking sheet, and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
4 | Just before serving, toss Salad with oil and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle each Socca with pepper and fleur de sel, and serve with Salad.
- Calories: 345
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 476 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g