In addition to being some of the best spice cookies you’ll ever eat, these may also be the easiest since you don’t need an electric mixer to prepare the dough. You can also make them without diced apples, or substitute dried cranberries.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus 1/2 cup for rolling cookies
- 1 large apple, peeled and finely diced (1 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, or coat with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in large bowl.
3. Whisk together oil, applesauce, and molasses in separate large bowl. Whisk in 3/4 cup sugar. Stir in flour mixture with spatula. Fold in diced apple.
4. Place remaining 1/2 cup sugar in bowl. Roll 1/4 cup dough into ball, then roll ball in sugar. Repeat with remaining dough. Place balls on prepared baking sheets.
5. Put baking sheets in oven, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops of cookies are dry and bottoms are golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Calories: 176
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 127 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g