Sorghum is a gluten-free grain that is gaining popularity and becoming more available in stores. It has a chewy texture similar to Israeli couscous.
- 1/2 cup sorghum, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 2 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
Combine sorghum and 1 cup water in medium saucepan; bring water to a boil. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour, or until grains are tender. Drain, and transfer to bowl.
Stir pesto into hot sorghum, then allow mixture to cool. Once sorghum is cool, stir in remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Let stand 1 hour or refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 23 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g