Edible containers such as red peppers make elegant individual servings. Here, the Curried Vegetable Sauté recipe gets jazzed up with spices to give it authentic flavor—with no extra work.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 Tbs. garlic oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tsp. whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and finely diced (about 8 oz.)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 Tbs. raisins
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. chopped roasted cashews
- 3/4 cup plain soy yogurt
- 2 1/2 Tbs. prepared mango chutney
Preheat oven to 375F.
Slice tops from peppers. Remove seeds, and set peppers and caps aside.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander, salt and cayenne pepper 6 minutes, or until onion begins to brown. Stir in cabbage, potato, chickpeas, raisins, ginger and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
Stir in broth, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook vegetables 10 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally. Fold in cilantro and cashews.
Spoon filling into peppers and place caps on top. Place peppers in 9x7-inch baking dish. Pour 1 inch water into dish. Cover with foil, and bake 50 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
Place yogurt in small bowl and stir in chutney. Arrange peppers on individual plates, and serve with yogurt sauce.
- Calories: 297
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 8.5 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 402 mg
- Sugar Content: 22 g