This salad is hearty enough for a meal on its own, but you could also fill it out with fresh corn kernels, chopped avocado, and roasted pumpkin seeds, or wrap it in a tortilla with other fillings for a burrito. For the quantity of chopped cilantro called for here, don’t bother separating the sprigs. Just hold the bunch by the stems and chop the leafy part.
- 1 cup sushi rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans, or 1 15-oz. can low-sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 Tbs. lime juice, divided, plus extra lime wedges for garnish
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 3/8-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1 cup red cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup prepared medium chunky salsa
1. Cook sushi rice in 3 to 4 qt. water 14 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, toss pinto beans with 1 Tbs. lime juice in large bowl. Add bell pepper and tomatoes.
3. Squeeze garlic into medium bowl with garlic press. Whisk in oil and remaining 2 1/2 Tbs. lime juice. Stir in cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add to bean mixture.
4. Drain rice, and rinse under cold water to cool. Drain again. Add rice to bean mixture. Add salsa, and toss to combine. Serve garnished with lime wedges.
- Calories: 362
- Carbohydrate Content: 61 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g