This one-dish meal comes together in just about 20 minutes. The black beans and avocado provide plenty of protein, but you could also round out the meal with a fried or poached egg.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup corn grits, such as Bob’s Red Mill
- 1⁄3 cup diced canned, whole green chiles
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced lime wedges
1. Bring milk and ½ cup water to a boil in medium saucepan. Whisk in grits and green chiles. Cover, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed. Stir in cheese, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add beans, cumin, oregano, coriander, and cayenne, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup water, and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until liquid is nearly evaporated. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve grits topped with beans and avocado, and garnish with lime wedges.
- Calories 650
- Carbohydrate Content 87 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 23 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 736 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g