For this dish, it’s worth seeking out red quinoa for its dramatic color.
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs.), divided
- 1 1/2 cups red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, sliced, optional
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. orange juice, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans, plus more for garnish
1. Combine salt, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon in small bowl.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 1/2 cup green onions, cover, and cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in cumin mixture, then quinoa. Add 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 18 to 20 minutes, or until spiral-like germ is visible. Remove from heat, and fluff. Place folded paper towel over quinoa, cover pot with lid, and let stand 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
3. Place avocado slices (if using) on plate, and drizzle with 1 tsp. orange juice and 1 tsp. oil. Season with salt, if desired.
4. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in remaining 2 Tbs. orange juice, then black beans. Cover, and cook 2 minutes, or until warmed through. Stir bean mixture into quinoa. Stir in pecans. Serve garnished with avocado (if using), remaining 2 Tbs. green onions, and pecans.
- Calories: 358
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 567 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g