Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
For this dish, it’s worth seeking out red quinoa for its dramatic color.
1. Combine salt, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon in small bowl.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 1/2 cup green onions, cover, and cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in cumin mixture, then quinoa. Add 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 18 to 20 minutes, or until spiral-like germ is visible. Remove from heat, and fluff. Place folded paper towel over quinoa, cover pot with lid, and let stand 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
3. Place avocado slices (if using) on plate, and drizzle with 1 tsp. orange juice and 1 tsp. oil. Season with salt, if desired.
4. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in remaining 2 Tbs. orange juice, then black beans. Cover, and cook 2 minutes, or until warmed through. Stir bean mixture into quinoa. Stir in pecans. Serve garnished with avocado (if using), remaining 2 Tbs. green onions, and pecans.
- Calories 358
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 567 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g