30 minutes or fewer
Hot dogs go gourmet with the Epicurean twist of an Italian wine. Adapted from Better Burger, NYC.
- 2 tsp. soy margarine
- 1 medium shallot, julienned
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz. Marsala cooking wine
- 6 vegetarian hot dogs
- 6 whole wheat buns
- About 6 oz. shredded Swiss, Muenster or soy mozzarella cheese
To make Marsala Mushrooms: Heat margarine in small skillet, add shallots and mushrooms and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and browned. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and wine; cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat electric or stove-top grill.
To make Hot Dogs: Split dogs lengthwise until nearly halved. Spray grill with cooking spray. Open each hot dog out almost flat, and place on grill. Weight down, if possible, to increase amount of surface touching grill; turn to grill other side.
Place dogs split-side up in buns. Top each with 2 Tbs. to 1/4 cup Marsala Mushrooms, and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. cheese.
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 480 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g