Serve with a sprinkling of dairy or soy Parmesan cheese or a swirl of extra-virgin olive oil drizzled on top.
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 lb. red new potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks (1 cup)
- 1 cup canned plum tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup frozen soybeans (edamame)
- 1 small zucchini, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 3 large leaves Swiss chard, green part only, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips (2 cups)
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry ditalini pasta or any small pasta shape
In medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until onion is softened, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 6 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes with their juice, soybeans, zucchini, green beans, chard and red pepper flakes if desired. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Stir in pasta, reduce heat to low and simmer until pasta is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Calories: 174
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 425 mg