This recipe makes more than enough for sushi filling—leftovers will keep at least two weeks in the fridge. Toss with stir-fried noodles and snow peas for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 3 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger
- 3 Tbs. mirin
- 2 Tbs. sake
- 1 Tbs. packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1. Pour 4 cups boiling water over mushrooms in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and soak 30 minutes. Drain, reserving 21/2 cups soaking liquid.
2. Place mushrooms, ginger, mirin, sake, brown sugar, and reserved soaking liquid in 2-qt. saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low. Simmer mushrooms 15 minutes, then add soy sauce. Cook 10 minutes more, or until liquid has thickened slightly. Serve warm or chilled.
- Calories: 32
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 154 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g