Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Erin Patton and her boyfriend, Mike Rabourn, turned their Northampton, Mass., abode into a test-kitchen while perfecting the “Neat Ball” for this recipe. An avid home cook, Erin enjoys creating meatless meals that appeal to all her guests. This great recipe received an honorable mention in VT’s 2008 Reader Recipe Contest.
1. Mash chickpeas and 2 Tbs. olive oil in large bowl, leaving some lumps. Stir in vital wheat gluten, breadcrumbs, tamari, garlic, lemon juice, herbs, and 1/4 cup water. Knead by hand 3 to 4 minutes, or until vital wheat gluten begins to form strands and all ingredients are well incorporated. Shape to Ping-Pong ball size.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions; warm pasta sauce in saucepan.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté Neat Balls 7 minutes, or until browned. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate; serve over pasta and sauce.
- Calories 493
- Carbohydrate Content 66 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15.5 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 669 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g